Australian GP organisers claim F1 breached contract

Monday 17th March 2014, 07:52 by TF1T Staff 

Daimler/Mercedes

The organisers of the Australian Grand Prix may consider suing Formula 1, after they claimed their contract had been breached as the cars weren't loud enough.

Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) chairman Ron Walker has contacted Bernie Ecclestone on the matter to make it clear that he and fans are not happy.

Meanwhile, AGPC chief executive Andrew Westacott believes the new noise from the V6 power unit has impacted on the "sexiness" of the event and therefore fans haven't got what they paid for.

"One aspect of it was just a little bit duller than it's ever been before and that's part of the mix and the chemistry that they're going to have to get right," he said.

"Ron spoke to [Ecclestone] after the race and said the fans don't like it in the venue."

He warned that they would be looking at their race contract.

"We pay for a product, we've got contracts in place, we are looking at those very, very seriously because we reckon there has probably been some breaches."

Westacott added that once F1 reaches European shores, complaints will grow, which might result in a different engine tone next year.

"I'd be confident we'll have a different sound next year," he concluded.

LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS

RED BULL

Newey warns F1 fast becoming a one-make series

FERRARI

Ferrari sacks engine chief amid restructure

tech talk

Tech Talk: Marussia innovation boosts Ferrari

MERCEDES

Hamilton claims FRIC ban will benefit him

f1 news

Drivers need to be able to speak their mind - Horner

caterham

Caterham launches legal action against employees