Indian GP won't return in 2015 insists Ecclestone

Thursday 06th March 2014, 17:47 by TF1T Staff 

Sahara Force India F1 Team

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that the Indian Grand Prix will not make a return in 2015, despite previously confirming an agreement was in place.

The race was left off the 2014 calendar following pressure from the teams because of the government's stance, which says F1 should be classed as entertainment rather than sport. That has major tax implications when importing and exporting equipment for the race.

Whilst some of those issues have been resolved, as reported by The F1 Times, several hurdles remain in place.

Ecclestone says a return in 2016 is possible if the remaining problems are overcome.

"At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," he said.

"Probably 2016…they're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."

LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS

caterham

Caterham launches legal action against employees

f1 news

Ecclestone promises no standing restarts in 2015

MERCEDES

Hamilton: 'I'm just doing my job, I'm hired to race'

HUNGARY GP | TWEETS

Some of the best tweets from the Hungarian GP

RED BULL

Horner says Ricciardo 'riding a confidence wave'

MERCEDES

Mercedes will allow its drivers to race freely