Ecclestone expects bribery charges to be dropped

Saturday 08th February 2014, 22:11 by TF1T Staff 

Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone doesn't believe the bribery charges currently filed against him will materalise into anything and expects them to be dropped.

The 83-year-old is due to stand before a Munich court in April charged with bribing jailed-German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky following the sale of the sport in 2005.

If found guilty, Ecclestone could face between three months and ten years in prison depending on the severity of the charges.

Gribkowsky was jailed for just over eight years for accepting a £27 million ($45m) payment from the Briton. Gribkowsky claims it was a bribe, whilst Ecclestone claims he was blackmailed.

Speaking about the trial, Ecclestone had little to say except that he's confident he won't be going to prison.

"Bet you it doesn't happen... things happen in life and you have to get on with it," he said during a charity event in London.

Ecclestone stepped down from the board of F1 earlier this year, but remains in control of the sport "subject to increased monitoring" by owner CVC Capital Partners.

LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS

caterham

Caterham launches legal action against employees

f1 news

Ecclestone promises no standing restarts in 2015

MERCEDES

Hamilton: 'I'm just doing my job, I'm hired to race'

HUNGARY GP | TWEETS

Some of the best tweets from the Hungarian GP

RED BULL

Horner says Ricciardo 'riding a confidence wave'

MERCEDES

Mercedes will allow its drivers to race freely