- Loading Countdown to Race
F1 Strategy Group announce changes for 2014
Thursday 23rd January 2014, 18:12 by Ryan Wood
Several minor regulation changes have been announced following a Formula 1 Strategy Group meeting in Geneva on Thursday.
The group, made up from representatives of Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams and Lotus as well as FIA president Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone, approved the following, though they must now be approved by the F1 Commission.
- Race stewards may now impose a five second time penalty which can be taken before work is carried out on the car in a pit stop.
- Team personnel must also wear helmets during qualifying, as well as the race.
- Drivers may not stop on the slowing down lap to save fuel for sampling and subsequent analysis; this will not be considered justifiable reason for stopping.
- For 2014 only, each team will be allowed six curfew 'jokers', previously there were two permitted. This is to allow more flexibility for working on the new engines and cars.
- The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 691kg at all times during the Event. The weight limit has increased by 1kg to take into account the difference in weight between the tyres in 2013 and 2014.
Changes for 2015 have also been agreed, with the terms of a budget cap to be presented in June of this year before being implemented in January 2015.
- To be considered as a constructor, teams will now not need to design and manufacture suspension and brake ducts.
- The car minimum weight will be increased by 10kg, to 701kg, for 2015.
- All tyre heating devices will be prohibited in 2015.
- For safety reasons, the front part of the chassis will not be able to climb too steeply rearward of the front of the chassis.
The F1 Times is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organisations or their shareholders. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com.