Pic not in the frame for '14 seat confirm Caterham

Monday 20th January 2014, 19:48 by TF1T Staff 

Caterham F1 Team

Charles Pic won't be racing in Formula 1 next season after Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul confirmed his departure from the outfit.

Caterham is the only team yet to confirm its line-up, but is expected to do so this week. However in an interview, Abiteboul let slip that it wouldn't feature the French driver.

"Unfortunately [he] will not be with us next year," Abiteboul told L'Equipe. "It is unfortunate that the relationship between Caterham and Charles ends. However I want to thank Charles for the job he has done last year."

The announcement comes as no surprise though, as Pic wasn't one of the four drivers who are expected to take seats.

Giedo van der Garde, who comes with financial backing, is a strong option, whilst Marcus Ericsson also brings money. One of these are expected to be paired with an experienced driver in the form of either Kamui Kobayashi or Heikki Kovalainen. The former being the favourite at present.

Confirmation is expected in the next few days after Caterham confirmed their attendance at the first test of the season next week.

LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS

f1 news

Drivers need to be able to speak their mind - Horner

caterham

Caterham launches legal action against employees

f1 news

Ecclestone promises no standing restarts in 2015

MERCEDES

Hamilton: 'I'm just doing my job, I'm hired to race'

HUNGARY GP | TWEETS

Some of the best tweets from the Hungarian GP

RED BULL

Horner says Ricciardo 'riding a confidence wave'