Marussia confirm Chilton will remain for 2014
© Sutton Images
|11 January 2014 by Ryan Wood | M||Tweet
Max Chilton will retain his Marussia seat for 2014, he and the team announced on Saturday at Autosport International.
The Briton lagged behind team-mate Jules Bianchi in 2013, but showed signs of improvement toward the end of the season and was the only driver to finish every single lap.
His seat hadn't been confirmed until now, unlike Bianchi, causing some to believe that they were considering a replacement, but CEO Graeme Lowdon said continuity made sense considering the wide-scale rule changes.
"We have never had continuity of both drivers from one season to another during our stint in F1," he said.
"With the technical rule changes that are coming through, that is important.
"There was [also] a real solid improvement from Max last year, particularly from the break onwards."
Chilton is expecting a more competitive second season in F1.
"I'm so glad to make the announcement," he said. "I'm really thankful that Marussia believed in me and gave me a second year.
"Continuity for me is absolutely key. I did three years in GP2, the first year I learnt well and the second year we pushed on. We could go for poles and wins and the whole atmosphere changed.
"Hopefully that will happen with Marussia."