Perez hopes fifth has eased pressure on '14 drive
Sergio Perez in India (© McLaren)
|30 October 2013 by TF1T Staff | M||Tweet
Whilst McLaren have yet to confirm its 2014 driver line-up, it's expected they will stick with the status quo and keep Jenson Button and Sergio Perez.
Whilst the former is almost a certainty having reportedly signed a contract, there has been some concern over Perez and whether he is good enough to continue.
The Mexican is hoping his "strongest performance" of the season so far in India last weekend where he finished a best fifth, equalling Button's best position this season, will have eased the pressure.
"I think that the Indian Grand Prix was my strongest performance of the season so far, and a good example of what I feel I'm capable of when I have a solid car beneath me, and the opportunity to push and press my opponents," he said.
"Fifth place is a great result for me," he added. "Without question, I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders, but it's always sweeter when you perform well while under pressure."
The 23-year-old pulled off some great moves on Sunday and says having the car to do that is great motivation for the whole team.
"I'm extremely satisfied. In the closing laps, it was a fantastic feeling to get past Kimi [Raikkonen] and Lewis [Hamilton] in a single move. I just braked as late as I could for Turn Four to try and keep Lewis behind - and I managed to do it.
"It's been a tough season, but [Sunday's] result is a promising sign and really motivates the whole workforce ahead of the last three races, where we'll be doing our best to get more strong finishes under our belts."