- Loading Countdown to Race
Raikkonen says his future in F1 remains open
Thursday 11th April 2013, 14:26 by TF1T Staff
© Lotus F1 Team, LAT Photographic
Kimi Raikkonen says his future in Formula 1 remains open. Whilst he is keen to continue past 2013, he doesn't know with which team.
The Finn returned to the sport with Lotus last season after a short absence, and his contract with the team expires at the end of the current year.
Speculation has linked him with Red Bull as a potential Mark Webber replacement and those rumours were given some credibility when team owner Dietrich Mateschitz said Raikkonen was "always an option."
Raikkonen expects to continue but he isn't ruling out a change of team.
"There are always a lot of rumours in F1, that is a normal thing," he said. "I don't have a contract for next year and I have no plans.
"You guys [the media] make the rumours. The season is only two races old so I'll try to do this year well and we will see what happens.
"I don't have a contract so I don't really have a plan, but of course I probably will be," he said in response to whether he'll remain in F1. "But you never know. It is a funny place. So far, I have no contract."
Many believe Lotus is the perfect fit for the 33-year-old because of the laid back atmosphere, but Raikkonen says he's never felt uncomfortable in a team, whether it's McLaren, Ferrari or Lotus.
"Like I've always said all the teams have been different, and I have had a pretty good time in all of them.
"I wouldn't say that this [Lotus] is much better than other places, because I never had any problems [elsewhere] or anything like that."
The F1 Times is not affiliated with Formula 1, Formula One Management, Formula One Administration, Formula One Licensing BV or any other subsidiary associated with the official Formula One governing organisations or their shareholders. Official Formula One information can be found at www.formula1.com.